Have you ever walked down the picture frame aisle in a home decor store and been overwhelmed by the decorating possibilities? There are sometimes so many different styles, sizes, and shapes that it can be daunting as you search for the perfect frame for your project. But what about those shadow box frames? Those may seem especially scary, but they really are user friendly. Even the most scared-DIY-er can make a shadow box into a beautiful treasure!
To be honest, I was a little scared about putting together my own shadow box to commemorate my family’s trip out west. I wanted to encompass the entire trip, from driving through Kansas, to going up Pikes Peak, to driving through a Redwood Tree! Once I got going, I realized how great shadow box frames can be! Here’s what I love about using shadow boxes:
- Shadow boxes allow you to go 3D! Use dimensional stickers and little objects from your special memory!
- The glass keeps the dust out! (Who doesn’t love something that is easy to clean?!)
- The width of the frame allows you to stand a shadow box up on a surface, or hang it traditionally from the wall.
- You can group smaller pictures to create a collage effect. It’s ok if your picture isn’t the exact size of the frame.
- Your creativity can run wild! There are so many possibilities with a shadow box vs. a regular picture frame. The extra volume gives you more room to play with.
Don’t be afraid to try something new and out of the box! All you have to do it start! And you can get started today at Old Time Pottery!