There isn’t a dessert that is more American or made for summer than a banana split! So when we came across this recipe at Oh She Glows we just had to give it a try. And let us say this recipe did not disappoint! The best part about these little treats is that they are easy to make and are on the healthy side of things. Seriously, at just 40 calories per bite, these banana splits are a healthy snack or dessert that’s perfect for the warmer spring and summer months. Enjoy!
- 2 medium bananas, peeled & cut into 10 pieces each
- 2-3 strawberries, cut in half and sliced to make 20 pieces
- 6 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (see tips below)
- drippy Nut butter, to drizzle on (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp finely chopped walnuts
Yield: 20 Bites
- Place 20 mini cupcake liners on a small baking sheet. Slice bananas and place 1 piece into each. Do the same for the strawberries.
- In a small pot on the stovetop or in a microwave, melt the chocolate and coconut oil on low. Remove from heat and stir well to melt the remaining chunks.
- Make a workstation with the bites, melted chocolate, coconut, walnuts, and optional nut butter. Spoon on 1/2 teaspoon of melted chocolate onto a bite and gently spread out. Drizzle on nut butter (optional). Quickly sprinkle with coconut and walnuts. Repeat for the remaining 19 bites.
- Freeze for a minimum of 15 minutes. If they are in the freezer for a long time and freeze solid, let them sit on the counter for about 15 minutes to soften up a bit. I put mine in a Tupperware container for storage.
- Nutritional info: (per bite, makes 20, without nut butter): 40 cals, 3 grams fat (1 g sat), 5 grams carbs, 3 grams sugar, 1 gram protein.
Tips & Tricks:
- Yellow, just ripened bananas work best here. You don’t want to use really spotted, mushy bananas.
- The coconut oil serves two purposes in the melted chocolate. One, it helps thin out the chocolate, making it easier to spread and two, it hardens the chocolate a bit faster, making that nice chocolate shell on top. You can get away with omitting it, but you will need to melt more chocolate chips so you have enough to spread on.
- Use the sweetest strawberries you can get your hands on for the best overall taste. Mine were quite tart and not the best in these bites.
- Feel free to use any toppings you wish! Get creative with it. You can also double the chocolate if you want a really chocolaty bite.
- Not surprisingly, these become SOLID when in the freezer for a long time. Leave them on the counter to soften for about 15 minutes before enjoying.
- Don’t want to use bananas? Try a small spoonful of dairy-free ice cream into each liner instead.