I don’t quite know how to explain the magic that is in the air this time of year, but every time I look at a pink eraser or a pack of brand new folders I get excited. The start of the school year is exciting, scary, and amazing all at once. That’s why I like to preserve these memories for all time! One thing my mom did with me and my siblings was take a picture of us with our backpack standing on our porch on the first day of school. During that year, she would display our current picture in a special frame. And while ours wasn’t as festive, I think this great school-inspired project is perfect for displaying such pictures!
To get started I headed over to my favorite home decor store for a fabulous picture frame. I also stopped by the closest office supply store and hit up their back to school sales! Here’s how I did it:
- Choose a picture frame to be the base for your project. Choose a frame that is flat. I happened to find one in a primary color, which is great with the school motif. If you can’t find one in the color you want, you can always paint the picture frame first!
- Lay out your pencils. Sharpen the pencils down to the appropriate lengths required to make your desired design.
- Using school glue, affix each item to the frame. Don’t use too much glue, as that will not only take forever to dry, but it will be more noticeable later on. I like using school glue compared to hot glue, or even super glue, because it is easy to use, easy to clean, and dried clear!
- Personalize your frame by gluing an eraser and with a permanent pen, write your child’s name on it!
- Take your picture and display!
Cherish these memories! The years go by fast and you will want to preserve the memories of your child’s first days of school!
Old Time Pottery has all of the picture frames to help you get started on a fun project like this! You can let your imagination go crazy with the possibilities since the frame selection is always new and fresh at Old Time Pottery!