Get ready for cake with a twist! That’s right, this Lemon Cake Roll is the perfect twist on a traditional cake with an added hint of lemon for that taste of spring. Believe it or not, making one of these is actually pretty easy. Plus it’s the perfect way to top off a meal. This cake is light, fluffy and excellent for cleansing the palate. Happy baking!
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed, about 3 minutes or until very thick and lemon-colored. Continue beating on high speed, gradually add sugar, about 1 minute more. Stop and scrape bowl.
- Add water, vanilla and lemon extract. Turn to medium speed and beat about 30 seconds. Continuing on medium speed, gradually add flour, baking powder and salt. Beat about 30 seconds, or until batter is smooth.
- Line a long, shallow baking pan (preferably 15 1/2-inches by 10 1/2-inches by 1-inch) with waxed paper, aluminum foil or parchment paper. Grease well. Pour batter into pan, spreading to corners.
- Bake in preheated oven for 11 to 13 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and immediately turn cake onto a towel dusted with powdered sugar. Remove paper or foil.
- Roll cake and towel together, starting on the short side. Once rolled, cool completely on wire rack.
- For the filling, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice and grated lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat all ingredients on medium speed about 1 1/2 minutes, or until well mixed.
- When cake is completely cool, unroll and remove the towel. Spread with lemon filling, then re-roll and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve chill and serve.