We’ve talked about it here before, so by now everyone knows that salty and sweet is one of our favorite combinations! And when we saw this recipe, we just had to make it! Of course, just as we suspected, it was fabulous! Not only are these brownies extremely tasty, but the added texture from the pretzels adds some really nice crunch to the brownie. Think of them as a substitue for nuts. Then throw in the caramel and you have a melt-in-your-mouth treat that is irresistible! In the end though, this recipe is easy to make, and it’s a fun twist on brownies that everyone is sure to enjoy!
- 1 box Betty Crocker fudge brownies (for a 9×13 pan)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups pretzels
- 1 jar caramel sauce
- coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, or grease with cooking spray.
- Prepare brownie batter according to package instructions.
- Pour about 1/3 of the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Spread until the bottom of the pan is evenly coated. Then add two even layers of pretzels, covering the entire surface. Carefully spoon the remaining brownie batter on top to cover the pretzels.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the brownies comes out clean. Remove and set on a cooling rack to cool.
- Spoon the caramel sauce onto the top of the brownies in an even layer. (If it is too thick, spoon the sauce into a small bowl first and microwave for 30 seconds to thin.) Sprinkle the caramel with a few pinches of sea salt.
- Serve warm, or let cool to room temperature then serve.
Original recipe courtesy of Tablespoon.com.