As we head into fall, apple season is upon us. We love a fresh, ripe apple, but when we saw this recipe for fried apple slices with caramel cream dip, we couldn’t resist!
Old Time Pottery always carries lots of great seasonal serving items for appetizers, dips and desserts. If you make this, be sure to let us know how it turns out!
For the Apples:
4 to 5 tart apples, we used Pink Ladies
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sugar
vegetable oil for frying
cinnamon and sugar, to taste
For the Dip:
1 (8 oz) cream cheese
1 small container cool whip (or 1 cup whipping cream with 1/2 cup sugar- whipped until stiff)
1 cup caramel sauce
1. In a fry pan, or deep fryer heat vegetable oil for frying.
2. Mix together the buttermilk and sugar in a medium size bowl. Peel and slice apples and add them to the buttermilk mixture as you go to prevent browning.
3. In a shallow dish, put a layer of Wondra flour. Pull the apples out of the buttermilk mix, one at a time and lightly coat all sides in the flour.
4. When oil is nice and hot, gently place coated apples into the oil so they are not touching, when the bottom side begins to turn golden, flip over and brown the second side. Quickly remove to a tray lined with paper towels to soak up excess grease and cool. Sprinkle immediately with cinnamon and sugar while they are hot.
For the dip:
1. Mix together the the cream cheese and cool whip until completely blended then stir in the caramel sauce. Place into a bowl for dipping and drizzle a little extra caramel sauce over the top.
This recipe and images are courtesy of Favorite Family Recipes.