One of our favorite cakes here at Old Time Pottery is shortbread. It’s impossible to beat a classic strawberry shortcake with a big glass of milk. Yum! That’s why when we came across this recipe we had to try it for ourselves and share it with all of you. Although these cookies aren’t made with strawberries, the combination of cherries and chocolate is a good one and it’s nearly impossible to just eat one of these cookies at a time. That being said these cookies are very easy to make and would be a perfect snack for the family right around Valentine’s Day. Enjoy!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup white and/or dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces white and/or dark chocolate, chopped (optional)
- Cream the butter and the sugar.
- Mix the flour and the salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until it starts forming larger clumps.
- Mix in the maraschino cherries, white chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Form the dough into the shape that you want, wrap it in plastic and let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour. (I did a rectangular log but you could also do a circular log.)
- Cut the log into 1/4 inch thick slices and place them on a parchment lined baking pan with one inch of space between them.
- Bake in a preheated 325F oven until they just start to turn lightly golden brown on top, about 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool completely.