With the first day of spring officially past us, it’s time to start thinking about spring cleaning and really giving your home a good, thorough cleaning. While it seems like it can be a daunting task, it’s one that has to be done. There really is no better feeling than showing off your spotless home to your friends and family! And after all, they say our homes are a reflection of ourselves so it’s a good idea to keep your home spick and span. With that being said, here are five spring cleaning tips to help you get started!
- Organize Your Closets – First thing’s first, before you can really start to clean, you’ve got to get rid of the clutter. That means getting clothes, shoes, and accessories up off the floor and put in their proper place. That also means organizing your closet by clothing type. This task will help you in the long run because it will be easier to stay organized year round and in turn be easier to clean next spring!
- Reorganize Your Bookshelves – Much like the first post, you’ve got to get rid of the clutter before you can give your bookshelves a proper dusting and wipe down. Sort your books by subject and size and remove any ripped dust jackets you have. When you’re moving your books around be sure to get rid of any hidden pockets of dust that may have collected over time. Then when you’re organizing your books for display, line them in a pattern of rows and stacks, this will add some interest to your bookshelves!
- Caring For Hardwood Floors – Hardwood floors are beautiful and classy. If cared for properly, they can be what really separates a nice home from a gorgeous home. The secret to keeping them looking new is to avoid over-sanding. That means avoiding dragging chairs and furniture across your floor and using furniture protectors as much as possible. It’s also a good idea to use saucers under your plants to avoid water damage. Now is a good time to really give your hardwoods a deep clean, but they’re going to require year-round care. The best thing to do is mop them once per week with a mild soap.
- Cleaning Your Carpets – Two to four times a year, you’re going to need a professional to come in a clean your carpets. But you can help keep your carpets looking good in between cleanings by vacuuming at least three times per week in high traffic areas and once per week in lower traffic areas. Also, as much as we like to walk around in bare feet, try and wear socks if you can because natural oils from your feet will get in your carpet and attract dirt.
- Cleaning The Right Way – Spring is the time to really clean. That means cleaning windows, wiping down your walls, polishing silver and stainless steel, etc. It takes a bit of effort, but it really can be a cathartic experience and will leave you with a big sense of accomplishment. It can also be a great way to spend time as a family! Why not embark on a cleaning adventure with the entire family and make it fun for the kids?